Monday, May 25, 2009

Persepolis blog 1

I think this ganre is very popular because of the unique way it incoporates a memoir into a graphic novel. I also think the popularity of the genre came from its ability to show a country's past in a new way. Satrapi chose this format in which to tell her story in order for her words to come alive. She wants to show what was happening not just tell you about it. The visual aspect in a graphic novel add to a memoir the ability to see the words in action. You are not left to your imagination to figure out that when you are reading a graphic novel compared to a conventional memoir.I have not read other graphic memoirs like "Persepolis" but I have read other comic book. When i compare persepolis to the other comic books, the depth in the stories are not the same as persepolis. I would not call this a comic book because it transcends this and other categories. It is seperate from all other like it because it combines both a comic and novel style together. I would place this book along side all the famous novels because I think it deserves that much credit. Since it is as or even more interesting as the other memoirs and novels.
persepolis is more powerful as it is now because it is an exciting story that provides historical facts. Comparing this to other memoirs, this is much more different than other memoirs. As it does not get boring like others due to the visual aspects of the memoir.
In order to challenge this myth Satrapi shows aspect of Iranian society we had not seen. she showed that peoples opinions differed and that not all Iranians want fundamentalism, fanatism, and/or terrorism. By reading Persepolis I have relized that my former view of Iranians being fundimetalists to the core was wrong. They were actually a country who where fighting amongest themselfs to find the correct path in political order. This book persepolis deepens my knowledge on Iran as I now know a little about their history and why they are the way they are. It also deepens my understanding on the war in iraq today as it is an importan area they ar fighting for. Now I know even more why this war is so important to the future of the middle east and its oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment